There are cultures in which raw shrimp is thought about a delicacy. However, food scientists do not recommend eat raw shrimp due to the fact that of the danger of food poisoning. Shrimp can bring bacteria, viruses, and also parasites. Normally, food preparation shrimp will certainly be enough to death the contaminants that normally appear, making them safe to eat. However, pre-cooked shrimp served and sold in retail facilities have been known to bring bacteria and also viruses that can cause people to become ill upon eating them.

You are watching: What to do if you eat raw shrimp

Cooked Shrimp Recalled due to Bacteria

In March, AFC circulation Corp. Recalled its cooking Butterfly Tail-On Whiteleg Shrimp since it may have actually been contaminated through Vibrio parahaemolyticus. The shrimp were supplied as an ingredient because that sushi sold at retailers in dozens the states, consisting of Illinois. There were no reported illnesses pertained to the shrimp at the time of the recall.

Vibrio parahaemolyticus is a bacteria uncovered in saltwater and also raw shellfish. Symptoms frequently last increase to seven days and may include:


An average, healthy adult deserve to usually recover from Vibrio parahaemolyticus without requiring any extr treatment. Human being with pre-existing problems that threaten their immune systems room at greater risk the suffering significant or even deadly results from the bacteria. Freeze does not kill the bacteria. Only thoroughly cooking the shrimp is recognized to kill it.

Safety v Shellfish

All shellfish space dangerous come consume raw or undercooked due to the fact that of the bacteria that they naturally ingest. If you room someone with a weakened immune system, it might be finest to protect against eating shellfish. When preparing shellfish on her own, you must be careful to thoroughly chef it so that it is safe to eat:

When friend are cooking the shellfish, that shell must crack open up if that is extensively cooked.Once you notification the shell has cracked open, you should still continue cooking it because that several an ext minutes.Do no eat shellfish that you uncover with its shell already cracked open prior to cooking because it might be contaminated.If you have actually removed the shell prior to cooking, the shellfish should end up being opaque and also firm as soon as it is done.

See more: Are Mulberry Trees Poisonous To Dogs, What To Know About Dogs And Mulberry

Contact one Illinois Food Poisoning Lawyer

You should automatically see a medical professional if girlfriend have come to be ill after eating shellfish. Girlfriend should additionally talk come an Illinois food poisoning lawyer at Newland & Newland, LLP, around whether you have the right to receive compensation native the party that offered or prepared the shellfish. Come schedule a consultation, contact 312-981-0409.