5,000 miles under regular conditions, 2,500 miles under severe organization conditions (including towing/hauling)
6.9L & 7.3L IDI Oil Viscosity Chart
ambient temp > 0° F
Preferred viscosity unless ambient temperature is the end or range
ambient temp 30° F
Appropriate within temperature range, however generally no recommended over alternatives
Amsoil Signature series Max Duty 15W-40 diesel oil premium diesel oil for maximum engine protection
Amsoil hefty Duty 15W-40 diesel oil Premium diesel oil because that next-level engine protection at an economically price - ideal value
Amsoil Signature series 10W-30 diesel oil exceptional flow and cold start defense in cold weather - recommended within temperature range
Amsoil synthetic engine oil offer:
• remarkable protection versus fuel dilution and also oil consumption
• premium resilience against thermal, mechanical, and also chemical failure of engine oil
• enhanced oil flow and engine security in sub-zero temperatures and during cold starts
Amsoil is a leading manufacturer of artificial oils and lubricants, including a line of motor oils engineered to satisfy the demands certain to diesel engines, old, aging, or new.
• The oil to fill on the 6.9/7.3 IDI is located near the front, facility of the engine (red arrowhead in image) at the top of the injection pump equipment cover. If the cap"s rubber seal is worn, rotted, and/or deteriorating, change it; that is an cheap item and you execute not want chunks that rubber dropping right into the front cover.
You are watching: How many gallons of oil does a 7.3 powerstroke hold
• place a drainpipe pan beneath the engine oil pan and also remove the drainpipe plug, which should require a 3/4" wrench. Once the oil has drained completely, clean and replace the plug. Re-installation of the plug need to be excellent by hand first to ensure overcome threading does no occur. Snug through a wrench, however do no overtighten.
• The oil filter is located on the driver"s side of the engine, close to the finish of the oil cooler and also to the next of the oil pan. Place your oil drainpipe pan under the filter and also remove it. If the vault filter was no over tightened, you have to be able to complimentary it there is no a filter wrench. If friend can"t loosen it, you"ll require an oil filter wrench or huge set of channel locks (fortunately, over there is many of workspace).
• dual check that the old oil filter gasket did no stick to the oil filter mount. Clean the mounting surface ar with a clean rag.
• you will need 10 quarts of new engine oil and a new engine oil filter. We are using Amsoil full synthetic 15W-40 diesel oil. If you have not convert to a complete synthetic, the level the protection greatly exceeds the of traditional "dino" engine oils, and also the oil is much less susceptible come thermal break down and shear. A traditional (petroleum based) oil is perfectly enough for the IDI, but we believe synthetic oil is fine worth the additional cost.
• stay away indigenous cheap or share brand oil filters. We only recommend Motorcraft brand oil filters. The Ford part number is FL-784; a bigger FL-1995 designed because that the 1st generation 7.3L power Stroke will additionally fit, however you will need to include 1 quart the oil to the total capacity (total i do not care 11 quarts).
• You might fill the new oil filter through fresh engine oil before installing it. This action is optional, but provides an extra class of protection during startup complying with an oil change. Lubricate the o-ring of the new oil filter v fresh engine oil, and then download it (important step, the filter will not seal properly without a cloak of oil on the black seal/gasket). Hand tighten the filter only, carry out not use a wrench.
• with the drain plug and new oil filter installed, to fill the engine v fresh motor oil v the oil fill. Use a funnel to minimize spilling. Reinstall the oil fill cap and also start the engine, making certain that engine oil pressure rises to typical within a couple of seconds. Through the engine running, inspect for leaks. Through the engine off and also cool, inspect the oil level via the dipstick (passenger side) come verify that the ideal amount has been added to the crankcase.
See more: What Does Every Third Day Mean Ing, How Often Is Every Third Day
gimpppa.org is a participant in the Amazon services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate heralding program designed to administer a means for us to earn fees through linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
• Diesel Hub - The Diesel owner Resource
• 4WD Hub - 4 Wheel drive & Off-road Tech
• F150 Hub - The F-150 owners Resource