Place her fetal pig in the dissecting pan ventral side up. Usage string to "hog-tie" her pig so the the legs are spread eagle and also not in her way. Use scissors to reduced through the skin and also muscles according to the diagram. Carry out not eliminate the umbilical cord. In the an initial section, friend will just examine the abdominal muscle cavity (the area listed below the ribcage).
You are watching: Bumpy structure under the stomach; makes insulin
After perfect the cuts, locate the umbilical vein that leads indigenous the umbilical cord come the liver. Girlfriend will require to reduced this vein in order to open up the ab cavity.
Your pig may be filled v water and also preservative, drain over the sink if necessary and also rinse organs. Locate each that the offal below, inspect the box.
1. Diaphragm. This muscle divides the thoracic and abdominal muscle cavity and is located near the ribcage. The diaphragm aids in breathing.
2. Liver. This framework is lobed and is the largest organ in the body. The liver is responsible for making bile because that digestion.
3. Gallbladder. This greenish organ is located underneath the liver; the bile duct attaches the gallbladder come the duodenum. The gallbladder stores bile and also sends it come the duodenum, via the bile duct.
4. Stomach. A bag shaped body organ that rests simply underneath and also to the pig"s left. At the peak of the stomach, you"ll find the esophagus. The stomach is responsible because that churching and also breaking under food.
5. In ~ each finish of the stomach are valves that regulate food entering and also leaving the stomach. In ~ the esophagus is the cardiac sphincter valve, and also at the duodenum is the pyloric sphincter valve. Watch the inside of the stomach by slicing it open lengthwise.
6. The stomach leader to the small intestine, i m sorry is created of the duodenum (straight section just after the stomach) and also the ileum (curly part).
7. The ileum is hosted together by mesentery. In the small intestine, more digestion occurs and nutrients are soaked up through the arteries in the mesentery. This arteries are dubbed mesenteric arteries.
8. Pancreas: a bumpy organ situated along the underside of the stomach, a pancreatic duct leader to the duodenum. The pancreas renders insulin, which is important for the suitable uptake of street from the blood.
9. Spleen: a flattened organ that lies throughout the stomach and toward the extreme left side of the pig. The spleen stores blood and is not component of the digestive system. On the underside of the spleen, find the splenic artery.
10. In ~ the finish of the ileum, wherein it widens to come to be the big intestine, a "dead-end" branch is visible. This is the cecum. The cecum helps the pig digest tree material.
11. The large intestine deserve to be traced to the rectum. The rectum lies towards the ago of the pig and will no be moveable. The rectum opens up to the external of the pig, or the anus. The big intestine absorbs water from the digested food, any kind of undigested food is save in the rectum together feces.
12. Lied on either side of the spine room two bean shaped organs: the kidneys. The kidneys are responsible because that removing harmful substances native the blood, this substances room excreted together urine. (more top top this later)
13. 2 umbilical vessels can be seen in the umbilical cord, and the flattened urinary bladder lies between them.
| || |
Identify the structures on the diagram.
Identify the organ (or structure)14. _____________________________ opening (valve) in between stomach and small intestine.15. _____________________________ stores bile, lies under the liver.16. _____________________________ A branch of the large intestine, a dead end.17. _____________________________ the end the thoracic and ab cavity; aids breathing.18. _____________________________ Membrane the holds the coils of the little intestine.19. _____________________________ The straight component of the little intestine simply after the stomach.20. _____________________________ Empties bile right into the duodenum indigenous the gallbladder.21. _____________________________ The critical stretch the the big intestine before it exit at the anus.22. _____________________________ Bumpy framework under the stomach; provides insulin23. _____________________________ Lies in between the 2 umbilical vessels.
Urinary and Reproductive Systems
See more: How Much Protein Is In An 8 Ounce Steak And Nutrition Facts, How Many Calories Does A 8 Oz Sirloin Steak Have
Female In the mrs pig, situate two bean shaped ovaries located simply posterior to the kidneys and also connected to the curly oviducts. map the oviducts towards the posterior to find that they merge at the uterus. Trace the uterus come the vagina. The vagina will actually will show up as a extension of the uterus.
Label the diagrams (Identify the male and the female)
Dissection of the Thoracic Cavity
You will require to reduced through the pig"s sternum and expose the chest cavity (thoracic cavity).