time belt DIY, because that 96-00 Civics with 105,000+ normal miles. Pics take away of my 5-speed 97. This DIY will cover the replacement of the adhering to parts: power steering beltAlternator beltA/C compressor beltTiming beltTiming belt tensionerWater pumpHead gasketHead cover washersSpark plug seals
new parts needed. This is because that a 1997 DX, parts will likely differ for the EX.
You are watching: 1998 honda civic timing belt marks
12341-p2f-a00 cylinder head gasket (1)12342-rye-004 spark plug seals (4)90442-p2a-000 head covering washers (4) (I introduce you purchase 5)14400-p2f-a01 time belt (1)14520-p2a-305 time belt tensioner set (1)19200-p2a-a01 Water pump (1) (comes with new seal)38920-p2a-003 Compressor belt (1)56992-p2a-003 P.S. Belt (1)31110-p2a-004 Alternator belt (1) Tools essential If you perform not have actually a professional influence wrench the will eliminate the wheel bolt, you will certainly need: 1) 18" 1/2" breaker bar.2) an additional breaker bar, preferably the 24" 1/2" one marketed at Autozone.3) one optional 4 foot pipe the fits over bar nicely. The should have actually as little play together possible.4)Honda wheel bolt remove tool. (Must have) walk to Amazon.com and they are offered for 24.99, + totally free ship if end 25 dollars. (that way buy a good book or something) Search: Alltrade 648796 Honda Crankcase sheave Removal Tool.5)An extra jack stand in enhancement to the two holding the front of the vehicle. This will certainly act as a support for her breaker bar as soon as you remove the pulley bolt. In addition, you will certainly need: 1)Torque wrenches: One in foot pounds, one in inch pounds (optional). You will not have the ability to torque the cylinder head covering bolts effectively if you don"t have actually an customs pounds wrench, yet I doubt those bolts are too crucial.2)17mm deepwell socket. Autozone sells them individually. Affect socket is no necessary, therefore the traditional one will work.3)New radiator fluid. Complement the color.4)About 14 customs of socket extensions come reach pulley bolt.5)Floor jack to raise the former of the automobile onto jack stands.6)2 Jack stands to assistance the prior of the car.7)Permatex black color liquid gasket from autozone. 1. Eliminate the radiator fluid through the radiator valve, and empty the reservoir. You will certainly still have a lot of of liquid in your system after you perform this. Girlfriend don"t have to take out the thermostat. Put the valve back in. 2. Disconnect the negative battery cable. If girlfriend want, you deserve to life just the left side of the car, however you will need an extra jack was standing no issue what. Carry out not jack up the vehicle from the front jack point because you will bend your frame upwards! never use the jack point. What I perform is ns jack it increase from the sides and also then slip a jack stand under the jack was standing point. Remove front left wheel. 3. Currently that your automobile is up, eliminate the valve cover. Next, remove the upper timing belt cover.
4. Ease P/S pump bolts and remove the belt. Unmount the pump and collection it over the windshield washer fluid or somewhere the end of the way. Be mindful that the reservoir isn"t spilling fluid.
5. Currently that you have the right to move the P/S hose the end of the way of the engine mount, eliminate the motor mount using the deepwell 17mm socket friend have. Then, eliminate the 3 bolts stop the mountain to the firewall.
6. Loosen the alternator stress and anxiety bolt. Next, go under the car and find the alternator pivot bolt, and loosen that. Now you will have the ability to pull the alternator in the direction of the prior of the car, which permits the belt to it is in slipped off. 7. The A/C belt is tensioned by the gold wheel you watch down there. In bespeak to eliminate it, take a wrench and also loosen the idler wheel nut and also then rotate the adjustment bolt counter clockwise sufficient so the you deserve to slip the belt off. You won"t have the ability to take the belt off since of the motor mount bracket. Now, unscrew the idler pulley-block nut, remove the pulley-block (be mindful not to shed the two parts in it) and also then remove the assembly totally off the engine. Eliminate the dipstick pipe.
8. To remove the AC belt, you perform not have to remove the AC pump and AC bracket. Due to the fact that you took the top motor mountain off, her engise is resting on the bottom talk mount. What you have the right to do is assistance your engine with a jack under the oil pan, such as your honda tires jack. Make sure you have a item of timber under there no to damages the oil pan! now you deserve to remove the 2 torque mountain bolts holding the mountain on. Then, lower the engine additional with the jack till there is enough clearance end the torque mount because that the belt to on slide through. You deserve to then on slide the new belt in, advanced the engine until the mountain touches the firewall, then bolt the speak mount back on. You can now remove the jack if girlfriend want.
9. Currently you"re walk to turn the engine come TDC. Get your extensions, tiny breaker bar or ratchet, 17mm socket and also turn the engine counter clockwise till you"re in ~ TDC. The easiest way to inspect tdc is the look at the engine side of the sheave as it"s an ext precise. But it"s no all that critical to be precise because when you eliminate the crankshaft pulley-block bolt, you will probably move out of TDC a bit. (see pic 6-20 below) 10. Now you"re going to eliminate the crankshaft pulley, which will be the hardest part because it"s on over there at about 180ft lbs. Obtain your 2 breaker bars, 50mm crank holder, 17mm socket, and also pipe together. Eliminate the bolt utilizing the method shown in the video clip below. Make sure it"s every stable and also securely held, and that her girlfriends challenge doesn"t happen to be in the wheel well because happy things could not happen if that slips out. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RE-pzP8g_x4 11. Don"t problem if you"re past TDC, we will certainly take care of that later. What friend DON"T desire to perform is to relocate the camshaft gear or crankshaft equipment when the time belt is OFF. So do damned certain you don"t revolve them accidentally. Eliminate the sheave bolt and pulley. As soon as you eliminate the pulley, a rectangular key will pop out. (see pic) Don"t lose this! You can not put ago the wheel without it.
12. Remove the reduced cover, and the CKF sensor beside the drive pulley. The sensor could be optional(?). Psychic to put it earlier in if you take it off. 13. Again, make certain camshaft is at TDC and/or that they haven"t been relocated independently. Ease the tensioner, remove the belt, and also remove the tensioner.
14. Place a bucket under the water pump. Remove water pump --fluid will certainly leak out-- and also replace with the brand-new pump and also seal. Include the brand-new tensioner come the engine and tighten the slightly. Include the time belt over the gears in the sequence presented below. Loosen the tensioner come tension, then tighten the a good amount.
15. Before you download CKF sensor and also lower cover, examine to make sure the upper mount bracket isn"t loose. Tighten that and add locktit to bolts if that is. Install CKF sensor and also lower cover and also reinstall crank pulley,Do not forget the key. Oil the sheave bolt as shown below, and tighten the wheel fully. Turn camshaft wheel 5-6 turns, slowly, to make certain you did it properly. If it"s okay, rotate secondary 3 teeth or more. Loosen tensioner, then re-tighten that fully. Hold the long part of the time belt and also twist it. it shouldn"t twist much more than 90 degrees. If it does, it"s too loose so you should retention it.
16. Examine TDC top top camshaft and crankshaft pulley. The best and also easiest way to do this is to location the crankshaft sheave at TDC first, i beg your pardon is the white mark. (refer to photo above) There room 2 TDC-finder point out on the reduced cover, similar to you have a rear and front sight on a firearm. Align the white note through the sights. Now, look at at your camshaft pulley on the engine side. Is it at TDC? the 2 slits have to batch v the head. If that doesn"t, her camshaft and also crankshaft space not in sync, so girlfriend will have to remedy that. (6-20) Don"t forget to install the dip pole tube. 17. Go ahead and turn the engine (with wrench) some more just to make certain it"s all good. 18. Install drive belts. Just make sure the belts room semi-tight, yet not therefore tight the they have actually no play. Carry out the A/C belt first, climate the alternator. To anxiety the alternator, placed a breaker bar in former of the alternator and also behind the engine as presented in the pick. Press it back, and tighten the travel screw with a wrench. Don"t forget about the bottom screw.
See more: How Does Water Evaporate At Room Temp Erature? Why Does Water Evaporate At Room Temperature
19. Install the upper motor mount, then install the PS pump and also belt. The PS pump has actually a box on the top that you can slip a 1/2 rest bar into. 20. Reinstall upper cover. (not head cover) 21. Remove old oil seals and install brand-new ones. Carry out this by prying with a screw driver, climate gently hammering in the brand-new ones. Also, add the brand-new rubber washers to your head sheathe bolts. Include oil come the inside of the washer and also press castle on using gloves. It to be a bitch. The extra one is there in situation you tear one.
22. Prior to installing the head cover, scrape turn off old liquid gasket through a flat piece that plastic rather than a metallic object. To wash area with an easy green or whatever. When you in reality slip on the head cover through the new plug seals, be mindful not to damage them. They may gain squashed and also torn! Pay unique attention that the spark plug pipe come every the way through and into the plug seals.
23. Crank engine some much more by hand, just to do sure. Reinstall every little thing the way it was. Reduced car, reconnect small parts choose throttle cable and also battery cable. 24. Remember, you have actually no coolant in the car. Put your heater to complete heat, and fan to full. Open your radiator cap and also place a funnel in there. Refill the coolant reservoir first. Start the car. It may have some difficulty starting. Refill coolant as the auto runs till the air is out of it. You may have to add some later or the next day.