Your Chevrolet’s speedometer gives important readings around your existing speed. If you space experiencing problems with yours, don’t fret -- these concerns are common and also easily solved (usually). In fact, TrailBlazer speedometer troubles are one of the most typical topics questioned on well-known Chevy virtual forums. If you are experiencing speedo issues for any type of Chevy model, right here is part advice the might aid you.
You are watching: 1995 chevy 1500 speedometer not working
Most usual Problematic Chevrolet Speedometer Symptoms
Inaccurate readings after alters to her Chevy: This is usual with truck and also SUV owner who adjust their wheels and tires, yet can additionally happen if the wheel/tire combo is readjusted on a car. Bigger combos, or those with various dimensions, will cause an inaccurate reading and the speedometer must be re-calibrated to gain back accuracy.
Your Chevy speedometer is dead: A dead speedo is probably the an outcome of among following three problems:
1) In the larger models (pre-1990), a rest in the cable which runs from the transmission to the speedometer is a common cause. 2) top top vehicles make after 1990, the rate sensors might be faulty, bring about inaccurate readings in ~ the speedometer. 3) A faulty speedometer head*, a much more serious problem, may additionally be the culprit.
* Please note that if the speedo head is bad, it demands to it is in diagnosed through an experienced to confirm.
The “check engine” or “service engine soon” light came on and the speedometer stopped working: With digital speed sensors, if castle malfunction, they regularly stop sending data come the Chevy’s computer and also this triggers a warning light to illuminate on the dash. Instead of the negative speed sensor will settle this issue.
Also, if speedometer in her Chevy falls short or reads erratically, test the cruise regulate out. The cruise regulate uses the very same sensors as your speedometer. If the cruise is working and also the examine engine light is on, the trouble is likely with the speedometer itself.
Also keep in mind the anytime a warning light comes on, her ECM need to be scanned ideal away as this could indicate a an extremely serious problem.
Jerking or bouncing needle top top the speedo face: when the speedometer falls short to settle and moves between speeds, it’s nearly always a wiring or cable issue -- occasionally it is also a rate sensor issue. In virtually all cases, the wiring or cable demands to be replaced, or the rate sensor demands to it is in re-calibrated.
Here’s just how to obtain into your Chevy and really examine things out according to the advice top top the problem above.
See more: How Many Gallons Does A 2008 Honda Accord Hold ? 2008 Honda Accord
Removing and also replacing the speedometer cable:
* Take turn off the engine cover * Look wherein the cabling enters the key body of your auto * A thick black color wire will certainly be leading into the tool panel, this is her vehicle’s speedometer cable * eliminate the bolt indigenous under the dash so you can remove the cable * remove the seed on the transmission to traction the cable the end * remove clamps on the transmission and also in the engine just that hold the cable * when the cable has been removed, replace it v a new one * solve everything back into place
Replacing speed sensors - former wheel drive Chevys:
* situate the speed sensors behind the engine, above the trans-axle * remove the hose, air cleaner, and connector from over the sensor * remove the bolts holding the sensor in place, twist and take out the sensor * use a new o-ring, clean the flange and also housing, and also install new sensor * change bolts and components
Replacing the rate sensors - behind wheel journey Chevys:
* The speed sensor will certainly be behind the infection on the driver’s next * elevator the vehicle and remove the wheel * Disconnect connectors top top the sensor and remove the bolts * very closely remove the sensor and also put a brand-new one in ar with a new o-ring * replace connectors, bolts, and other components
Not every speedometer trouble calls for a component replacement, as discussed prior. Additionally, you should consult a professional if friend cannot identify the details problem or have actually doubts about the diagnosis or your capability to fix it on your own with the resources easily accessible in your own garage.